Demircan Canadinc, Prof. Huseyin Sehitoglu
This project is supported by NSF. High strength Hadfield steel single crystals are alloyed with Aluminum to decrease the stacking fault energy and suppress twinning. Results of the mechanical tests are supported by Transmission Electron Microscopy giving detailed information on the microstructure. The relationship between the deformation mechanisms and crystallographic orientation is also under focus. A visco-plastic self-consistent model is being developed accounting for the interaction between the different deformation mechanisms active in the material.
- Canadinc, D., I. Karaman, H. Sehitoglu, Y. Chumlyakov, and H. J. Maier, “The Role of Nitrogen on the Deformation Response of Hadfield Steel Single Crystals,” submitted for publication to Metallurgical Transactions, 2002.
- E. G. Zakharova, I. V. Kireeva, Yu I. Chumlyakov, S. P. Efimenko, H. Sehitoglu, and I. Karaman, “Deformation Mechanisms and Strain Hardening of Hadfield Steel Single Crystals Alloyed with Aluminum,” Doklady Physics, 47, 515, 2002.
- Karaman, I., H. Sehitoglu, Y. I. Chumlyakov, H. J. Maier, and I. V. Kireeva, “The Effect of Twinning and Slip on the Bauschinger Effect on Hadfield Steel Single Crystals,” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions, 32A:3, 695-706, 2001.
- Chumlyakov, J., I. Kireeva, E. Litvinova, E. G. Zaharova, N. V. Luzginova, H. Sehitoglu, and I. Karaman, “Strain Hardening in the Hadfield Steel Single Crystals,” Physics of Metals and Metallography, 90, Suppl. 1, S1-S17, 2000.
- Karaman, I., H. Sehitoglu, A. J. Beaudoin, C. Tome, Y. Chumlyakov, and H. J. Maier, “Modeling of the Deformation Behavior of Single Hadfield Steel and Polycrystals due to Twinning and Slip,” Acta Materialia, 48, 2031-2047, 2000.
- Karaman, I., K. Gall, H. Sehitoglu, and Y. Chumlyakov, “Deformation of Single Crystal Hadfield Steel by Twinning and Slip,” Acta Materialia, 48, 1339-1345, 2000.
- Chumlyakov, Y. I., I. V. Kireeva, E. I. Litvinova, E. G. Zaharova, N. V. Luzginova, S. P. Ephimenko, H. Sehitoglu, and I. Karaman, “Twinning in Hadfield Steel Single Crystals,” Doklady Physics, 45:3, 101-104, 2000.